Here are 5 ways you can be your own therapist:
1. Take care of yourself. Eating healthy foods and having a regular exercise routine can do wonders for your mental health. Taking time out of your day or your week for yourself, can be just as good. When you’re on the go all day, you tend to forget about taking a moment (or more) for ourselves. This can be a time to meditate, to call a friend, to take a nap; anything that recharges you is not worth putting off.
2. Be open and accept yourself. It’s true, honesty really IS the best policy! The first step towards having an open and honest relationship with others is having one with yourself. Notice what you like and don’t like; accept yourself as the discerning individual you are without judgment. Notice if you start to judge yourself — it’s normal and we all do it from time to time, but it’s not necessarily something you MUST respond to.
3. Identify who you are and who you are NOT. The things we think about do not necessarily define who we are. Be accepting of your thoughts as well as your faults, and recognize that there are some things in life you just can’t redo. If you tend to dwell on negative thoughts or negative past events, try to notice that you are dwelling, give yourself a break about doing so, and move on. Thoughts are simply tiny electrical impulses in your brain, why judge them? It’s okay to think what you think. No need to judge yourself. Be your own best friend and resist the urge to judge yourself.
4. Set goals for yourself. Goals are important, but making them attainable/reasonable (and measurable) is the key. If you have measurable and attainable goals you are more likely to feel more secure and purposeful in your daily life.
5. Shake off that stress. This is your life. It is what you make of it. Take time to pursue the hobby or activity you always thought of doing, but never actually pursued. Our lives can become very stressful and overwhelming with all the errands we run, our work, family, and other obligations. So take some time to indulge in something YOU find meaningful. Doing something you enjoy will help to shake off the daily stressors you face.